When we had our shop in town Wheways, racket restrings were a big part of our daily operations and after we closed the shop back in 2011 after 99 years of high street retailing we continued stringing rackets for a number of customers.
When we started restringing rackets they were strung by hand but today is a very different affair with calibrated machines been used to ensure that consistent tensions are maintained and ultimately allow for rackets to be strung a lot quicker!
Between us we also have over 60 years of Sports Retail experience so not only do we know a lot about racket restrings but we have an unparalleled understanding of racket construction and characteristics. This is key to make sure you͛re stringing choice matches your racket, should we have any concerns we will contact you to discuss this and ensure you receive the best possible service available to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my racket needs restringing?
There are a few things to look out for:
- Broken strings
- Wear – frayed strings
- You notice shots you normally make are going out a lot more
- You have to hit the ball/shuttle harder
- The noise of strings has changed
How often should my racket be restrung?
The following are only recommendations:
- After every 40 to 50 hours of consistent play or if you play
- 1 to 2 times a week – every 5 Months
- 3 to 4 times a week – every 4 Months
- 5 or more times a week – every 2 Months
How long will my racket take to be restrung?
- We aim to restring all rackets within 24/48 hours of receiving them - Monday to Friday not including Public Holidays.
Are all rackets examined before stringing?
- Yes, all rackets are thoroughly examined using a magnifying lens under strong lights.
What happens if any frame damage is discovered when the old strings are cut out or the frame is placed in the stringing machine?
- We will contact you straight away to notify you of our findings and to discuss your options.
Can a broken frame be mended?
- No, there is no effective way of repairing a broken frame.
What if my racket needs a bumper & grommet strip or loose grommets?
- If we receive your racket and think it needs a bumper & grommet strip or loose grommets we will contact you to discuss this.
- This will add 24/48 hrs to the turnaround of your racket.
- Certain bumper and grommet strips cannot be supplied.
What if a string breaks the first time I use my racket after it’s just been restrung?
- Strings are not guaranteed and as such we cannot be held responsible for any string breakages.
- Strings can break the first time you use your racket after having it restrung which is unfortunately the nature of the game.